Miranda Barnes
Memorial website in the memory of your loved one
Born in Dallas, Texas on June 24, 1993.
Celebrated her first birthday on June 24, 1994!
Celebrating her 2nd Birthday
3rd Birthday Celebration
5th Birthday Celebration
In New Mexico Fall 1998

Adam and Miranda at Grandparents Carusone home in Albuquerque NM the Fall of 1998.

June 5, 1999
Mom and Guy get married.  Miranda is the flower girl and Adam is the ring bearer.
First Grade

Second Grade

Third Grade
Fourth Grade

Fifth Grade

In the Paper at State Tournament
March 22, 2003.  Miranda is front page news in the paper at State Tournament.
Sixth Grade
March 3, 2005 - Seizure in Math Class
Miranda had a seizure in her math class on March 3, 2005 and was immediately transported to Trinity Medical Center. While there they did a CT Scan and a brain tumor was found. They immediately called Children's Medical Center in Dallas and had her transported to their hospital.

Children's Medical Center is a wonderful facility with very caring doctors, nurses, social workers and volunteers. At Children's Miranda had her first MRI which confirmed that Miranda did indeed have a tumor. The neurosurgeons had her scheduled for a brain biopsy to determine which type of tumor Miranda had.
March 10, 2005 - Diagnosis (Mommy's Diary Entry)
We have the diagnosis on my daughter. This is the type of tumor she has:

Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)

These tumors sometimes called high-grade or grade IV astrocytomas, grow rapidly, invade nearby tissue and contain cells that are very malignant. Glioblastoma multiforme is among the most common and devastating primary brain tumor that affect adults, and in some cases children. Doctors usually treat glioblastomas with surgery followed by radiation therapy and often chemotherapy. As with other types of brain tumors, there are also many clinical trials that offer patients access to new experimental treatments.

She will start radiation and chemo therapy treatments either Tuesday or Wednesday for a period of six weeks, then 4 weeks off, then chemo for 5 days every 3 to 4 weeks for a year.

Miranda's condition is very bad. We have to pray that a miracle happens and the radiation and chemo kills this type of cancer. So please keep the prayers going for her.

She's been given a very nice wheel chair, we will get funding to buy her a wig if she wants one and she has pretty much told us what color and that she wants curly hair. We are hoping that she will be going home this weekend.

She goes to the radiation center tomorrow for a mask fitting. Miranda has some wonderful, supportive people at Children's Medical Center in Dallas and some great doctors. They are doing all they can for her.

She is starting to get some of her speech back and is talking more but gets frustrated when certain sounds don't come out right. She walked today and actually had a shower, though she was sitting down. She ate more than she has since this all started. She has lost over 10 pounds.

I'll be back at the hospital tomorrow and go with her to the mask fitting. She knows that she is very ill and that it will take a lot of praying and positive thoughts to get her better.

Miranda has told everyone that she can't wait to get back to school. The child life support team at the hospital will be talking to the school about her needs and they are going to call my son's school to tell them what is going on just in case Adam needs to talk to someone. Adam knows his sister is very ill and that it will take a lot to get her well. He's been very sweet to me.
March 24, 2005 - Another Seizure after Radiation Treatment (Diary Entry)
Well we had a scare today. After she had her radiation treatment this morning as she was getting ready to go home she had a seizure in her right arm. They immediately shipped her to Children's and while in the ER she had another seizure in her right arm. They did a CT Scan and it showed that there was some swelling but that is normal from the radiation treatments and will eventually go down. They sent us home with increasing her steroid medication for a little while and a new seizure medication called Trileptal to take in addition to her Dilantin. Eventually they are going to get her off the Dilantin. She was very tired when she got home and slept for a few hours. At least we got her to eat and she's eating her favorite fruit "grapes" right now.

I'm just glad she is home and still in good spirits. It made a set back on her arm but we hope therapy will help to get her arm and right hand back where she can use them again and do all the things she loves to do.

All her doctors saw her at the ER today. They said that we shouldn't be surprised if she has similar seizures again but they hope with the new medication to keep that from happening. Her tumor is definitely reacting to the treatments and is shrinking.

She goes back for a radiation treatment tomorrow morning. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. Thank you.
March 30, 2005 - Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda is doing very well right now. We found a wig today that she really likes and they are ordering it for her. She wanted curly hair so we actually found one for children with curls that will reach to her shoulder in her hair color. She was very happy about it.

Got her out of the house today and we went to the mall but pushed her around in her wheelchair since she would have been too tired walking around the place but she enjoyed herself. Stopped by Claire's to see what they had but she didn't find anything she wanted, which surprised me.

Then we went off to Toys 'R Us to get presents for some friends children that will be turning 1 and 3 this weekend for their party on Sunday. She had fun checking out everything and surprised me that she walked through the whole place and wasn't really tired from it.

Physical therapy was supposed to show up here between 11 and 11:30 by Noon I was pissed and I left with Miranda. The guy called the house at 12:05 to say he was outside and no one was home. Yeah, no one was home. I had things to do and promised to do with Miranda. You don't show up 35 minutes late or later and expect us to be here. Miranda doesn't like the therapist anyway.

We are working to get her started back up in school and decided home bound is probably the way to go for now. She hates that she can't use her right arm and hand and her speech is screwy but she knows it is going to take time to get everything working right but it frustrates her. I hope to pick up the paperwork by tomorrow and get the ball rolling. She does want to finish out the 6th grade.

April 2, 2005 - Headaches and Sick (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a tough time last night. She got sick twice and complained of a level 3 headache. When she gets past a two, we have to give her pain medication. She is awake this morning and says she feels better. I hope so. I hate to see her in pain and not feeling well. The only saving grace is that no seizures happened.

We've had a horrible time dealing with her insurance and getting her the nausea medication called Zofran. It is very expensive but the doctor prescribed it for her. I had to get the case manager to help us out on this one but we still don't have enough medication for her to last through her chemo treatments and she is supposed to have Zofran to help her not get sick which doesn't always work like we hope (i.e. yesterday). I got 20 pills on the 31st and she is down to 17 since she took two yesterday.

I pray for a miracle every day and that she gets better and everything is back to normal for her.
April 4, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a good weekend considering her Friday illness. We went to the movies on Saturday and saw Beauty Shop. She enjoyed it.

On Sunday we went to a birthday party at Kid's Corral in Carrollton for a friends children that turned 1 and 3 and she played on the playground and pushed Gretchen around. She had a wonderful time enjoying the wonderful weather and being surrounded by people she cares about.

Later she want to church with her father and her dad said she sang the hymns and had a nice time.
April 5, 2005 Update and Dr. Mike (Diary Entry)
Miranda is doing well. We met with Dr. Mike today after her radiation treatment and he got her to smile and laugh. He's a great radiation oncologist. Miranda had some pain yesterday during lunch in both her arms. She said they felt like they were cramping really bad and brough tears to her eyes.

Pat, the speech therapist, came to work with Miranda late yesterday and Miranda's speech has definitely improved. She has to do more exercises.

I hope the PT and OT people can get Miranda's right arm and hand to strengthen. Sometimes I hardly see any improvement at all but then she surprises me. I know she is frustrated that she is not like she was.

Adam and Guy were sick today. We aren't sure if it was the chicken dinner we received last night or what it was. I know that Miranda and I were fine.
April 7, 2005 Update and Wig (Diary Entry)
Miranda got her wig yesterday. They trimmed her hair to let the wig fit better. Children's Medical Center paid for the majority of the wig and then the store "Comfort Wigs, Etc." in Lewisville paid for the rest. They also took care of the trim of her hair, the wig and styling it for her. She was so pleased with it.

Miranda started losing her hair after almost 3 weeks of radiation and chemo. We noticed the evening of the 5th after her shower that small clumps were coming out and then more after her radiation treatment yesterday and still more today. She has very thick hair so it still looks fine but thinner right now.

She will see her oncologist tomorrow and they are talking about weaning her off her steroids again. So far she hasn't gained any weight from them or gotten swollen in the face nor has her appetite changed as they warned us might happen. We will report tomorrow after that meeting.

There is an ARD meeting on Friday to discuss Miranda's homebound status and get her up-to-date on the rest of her schooling so she can finish out the 6th grade. She has been doing some school work at home which we need to turn in and pick up some more. She goes into the kitchen and does the work without being asked.
April 8, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda and I were out so long this morning. From 7:30 until 12:30 and I was totally tired by the time I came home but then had to run off to my job. I came in jeans but usually Friday is a casual day. I just didn't have time to change.

Miranda wore her wig to her treatment today. Everyone loved the curly hair. The only bad part is that it itches Miranda's scalp along with the itching from her treatment. We found a big 2" round blank spot under her hair on the left side of her head. More hair is falling out. Wig came just in time.

We saw the oncologist today and they are reducing Miranda's steroid dosage again. She is currentling take 12mg divided up to take 4 times a day. Now it is will be down to 9mg. We should hear something about taking her off the Dilantin sometime next week we believe.

The school cancelled the ARD meeting to discuss Miranda's status for being in the homebound program only because the doctor hadn't turned in the paperwork yet. Hopefully it will be reset for sometime next week. I picked up the completed paper today at Miranda's appointment and had my ex take it to the school along with Miranda's completed school work. He is supposed to pick up more work for her to do. If we ever find a rolly polly and an earthworm, she will be able to finish out some science work. Her blood work came back great.

We are having company tonight and having pizza. Plan to either watch some good DVDs or play some of our games. Adam is dying to really play a good game of TV Scene It.

I got interviewed over the phone today by our local newspaper with regard to Miranda and the upcoming fundraisers the community is having for her. They want to take a picture of her for the paper along with the article on Tuesday. The article should appear in the Wednesday edition of the paper.

I posted some recent pictures of the family in the Photo Gallery last night. I hope you enjoy them.

Thank you for all the wonderful messages in the Guest Book. Miranda loves them.
April 8, 2005 Update and Mavericks Basketball Game (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a great day today. Her friend Briana came to visit and play, we went to the movies, and she picked out some books at Barnes & Noble.

We then went to the Mavericks game tonight. The Mavericks played the Utah Jazz and beat them. She had so much fun watching them and she got to see the Dallas Mavericks Dancers up close as they stood on the stairs right next to our seats. Miranda got to talk to them and have her picture taken with the ones that were closest to us.

She is losing more of her hair and mostly on the left side where the strongest radiation treatment is done. Thankgoodness she had such thick hair and still has some but it is thinning quickly now.
April 11, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda is doing well and actually gained a pound. She met with Dr. Mike yesterday after her radiation.

Miranda went to a prayer session last night with her father.

She is losing more hair every day and has decided to wear hats for a bit. She says the wig itches too much and since she still has some hair, she wants to wear the hats for now.

Her spirits are high and she is doing better with her speech. There is also some small improvement with her right arm. She is starting to be able to squeeze again with her hand but it is not strong.

We found an earthworm and a rolly polly and sow bug for her to work on some science projects. Hope to get the homebound program working soon.
April 13, 2005 Update - Losing More Hair (Diary Entry)
Miranda is doing well. Losing more hair every day.

The article came out in the local paper yesterday and is also on their web site. The Carrollton Leader did a wonderful job and it was on the first page in the edition that went out for home delivery. Their link is located at: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?brd=1426&Nav_Sec=68876

She is going to have her picture taken with her softball team Saturday afternoon. I hope she gets to play with them again once she gets back the use of her right arm and hand.

Her physical therapist came by yesterday and showed me some exercises to make sure she does on a regular basis. We tried to do some last night and her hand started to cramp. Her facial muscles are almost normal now and her speech is getting better every day.

Her laughter and her smile are wonderful to hear and see every day. Her spirits during this time are great.

An ARD meeting is scheduled for this Friday to get her homebound schooling started. We have more school work to hand in.

Friday is the first fundraiser in the community for Miranda at the Chick-Fil-A in Carrollton on Old Denton Road. The dance club is planning to perform out there for some entertainment and support.
April 15, 2005 Update - ChikFilA Fundraiser (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a good day today and was very busy. While at her radiation treatment one of the ladies that is there for treatment as well came and gave Miranda two turbans that she had made for her. Miranda loved them.

Today was the C/FB Girl Softball League Fundraiser at Chick-Fil-A. We stopped by for lunch and saw Miranda's name on their sign, her picture on the doors and in the store. They were wonderful people. We stopped by later in the evening and the place was packed. I have never seen so many people stopping by in support of our family. It was amazing to see.

There was face painting, a bouncing castle, our dance club performing and having a raffle in support of Miranda. Unbelievable, and we are so appreciative.

Miranda was there until 9:30 in the evening having fun with her friends and meeting everyone.
April 16, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Today we cleaned out the garage to put together everything we want to send over to the garage sale fundraiser that her former elementary school is throwing in support of Miranda. Very happy to get all of this stuff out of the garage and going for a good cause.

Aunt Betsy came and had lunch with Miranda and me (Nancy). We enjoyed it at Boston's and ended it with a Brownie Sundae dessert that all three of us shared.

Later today Miranda will be having her team picture taken with her softball team, the Texas Spirit. She may even stay for a picnic later with them.

Her hair loss is very evident now but she is enjoying wearing her hats and turbans.

Miranda went and had her picture taken with her team members as well as an individual picture. Her dad said she actually held a bat for her picture and we are anxious to see it. After having her team picture done, she sat in the dugout with the team while they played the first game of a double header. She was sad to leave afer the first game but her dad knew that she was tired and brought her home.

April 17, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a good day today. She actually took a sponge out of the bucket to help wash her step-dad's Expedition. We all pitched in to get it clean.

We took her to see the movie Fever Pitch and she loved it and later we had dinner with our friends the Warrens and Guy Fryhover at Garcia Bros. Mexican Grill. Very good Mexican food.

Miranda starts up with the homebound program Monday afternoon and will be going to school to take the TAKS on Tuesday and Wednesday. She is actually looking forward to being back at school. Hopefully she won't tire too much.

Everyone says that the Chick-Fil-A fundraiser on Friday was a success.
April 21, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Since my last update Miranda has now reached 5 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments today. She has lost half of her hair and her forehead is very brown and peeling like from a sunburn but we keep petroleum jelly on it to keep it from drying out.

She was weighed on Monday and had gained another pound but still is 7 pounds under what she weighed from when this all started.

She took the TAKs test at school on the 19th and 20th and did well while there. She managed to be at school 3 hours without being too awfully tired.

The homebound teacher is very nice and Miranda is keeping up with her school work. We started an Air Quality science experiment this morning which she'll have to keep track of for the next 5 days.

Her spirits are upbeat and her right arm and speech are getting better daily. The exercises we are doing are certainly helping.
April 22, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda's blood work came back great. Dr. Bowers decided to lower her steroid medication as well as her Dilantin. She is very happy.

Her PT therapist came today and said that Miranda's right arm is doing much better.

Mom is getting a refresher course in science helping Miranda.

Tomorrow is the Thompson Garage Sale fundraiser for Miranda. We hope it goes well.
April 25, 2005 Update - 3 More Days of Radiation (Diary Entry)
Today Miranda had the start of her last three radiation treatments. She met with Dr. Mike Bastasch and he didn't realize that she will be done on Wednesday. He was talking about seeing her next Monday.

Miranda had a pedicure and manicure with our friends Ingrid and Bubba. She had a blast with them.

The garage sale, car wash and raffle fundraiser held at June R. Thompson Elementary was very busy. Adam helped and so did Miranda's dad, Rick with the car wash.

We decided to shave off the rest of what was left of Miranda's hair. She had already lost 3/4 of it and the rest was coming out in handfuls and once we did it, she giggled so much when she saw herself in the mirror. She says it feels much better.
April 27, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Found out today that Miranda actually has three more treatments left so her last day of radiation is Monday. She finished her chemo medication today.

I'm trying to get more information about a place for Miranda to have PT, OT and speech therapy regularly since the insurance will not let anyone come to the house any more since they consider Miranda ambulatory.

Miranda is doing well. Her spirit amazes all of us.
April 29, 2005 Update - Reduction in Medication (Diary Entry)
After radiation we went to Children's for Miranda's weekly blood work. All is well and her counts are good. They are reducing her steroid and her dilantin. She has an appointment on May 3rd with a new doctor to discuss her seizure medication. He may reduce the dilantin more or completely take her off of it.

Children's is checking into getting Miranda scheduled for PT, OT and Speech at their location. I should hear something from them soon. Dr. Bowers liked the strength that Miranda has gotten back in her right arm and hand. We continue to exercise 3 to 4 times a day and work on her speech ourselves.

Disappointing news was that the MRI has been rescheduled to May 25th. They said it was too soon after the last radiation treatment to have it done on the 9th since Miranda had an additional 3 treatments and her last one is May 2nd. I understand but I'm still disapointed. She starts chemo up on May 27th. We can do her blood work at a local lab or keep going to Childrens. It is whatever we would like to do in that regard.

Other than that, everything is going well with Miranda. Her spirits are still high.
May 2, 2005 Update - Last Day of Radiation (Diary Entry)
Today was Miranda's last day of Radiation. We got to say goodbye to everyone. She will see Dr. Mike again in six weeks. We can't believe so much time has already passed.

Miranda is doing fine except for some small headaches and some eye pain but seems to do fine once she takes some tylenol but if it persists we will contact the doctors about it.

I hope we hear something soon about Miranda's PT, OT and Speech therapy at Childrens.

Miranda went with her dad, best friend Amelia and her brother Adam to the Rangers game on Saturday against the Red Sox. Unfortunately, the Rangers lost. It was a long game for everyone.

We got to see an RC Boat race on Sunday thanks to our friends Helen and David. David races boats. They sure do go fast and it was fascinating to see all the different types of boats out there.
May 3, 2005 Updat - New Doctor (Diary Entry)
Met with Dr. Elterman today to discuss Miranda's seizure medication. We liked him.

Dr. Elterman has taken Miranda completely off Dilantin. She is now solely on Trileptal. He has increased her dosage in the evening by 150 mg. We are happy that she will be off the Dilantin.

Appointment has been set up with Children's PT and OT for May 24th. We still haven't heard from their speech therapists yet.

Miranda can push a basketball very well and hold a baseball and twist her wrist back and forth with it in her hand without dropping it now. Her strength is definitely improving.
May 5, 2005 Update - Make-A-Wish (Diary Entry)
The Make a Wish represensative came by tonight. She brought Miranda a gift and a t-shirt. All the paperwork was filled out with regard to the wishes they hope to fulfill for Miranda.

She is hoping for a Disney Cruise as her main wish. They also told her to wish for three other items (1) what she wants to be, (2) who she would like to meet and (3) something she really wants for herself. She came back with (1) a famous person, (2) Hillary Duff and (3) a horse. Now I really wonder what they are going to do about "a famous person".

Things are going well with Miranda. Appointments have been set up for PT, OT and Speech through Children's. We continue to work with Miranda on our own. She can now roll a basketball with her right hand and pick up a baseball and twist her wrist back and forth and not drop it. She can also squeeze much better.

We are pleased that she is progressing so well.
May 8, 2005 Update - Happy Mother's Day (Diary Entry)
Miranda is doing well.

Friday she had her blood work drawn and the counts were good. The doctor lowered her steroid dosage once again. Then Miranda went to her Mom's work for a few hours and enjoyed herself doing her homework, meeting everyone and helping her Mom with work she printed out on the printer.

Yesterday she took a walk with her Oma and Mom and the dogs and she wasn't tired. She went to see the movie Kingdom of Heaven. She also went "Mother's Day" shopping with her step-dad Guy for her Mom and Oma. Later she attended the Girl Scouts Father-Daughter dance with her dad, Rick and then went to join her step-dad, Mom and Oma at Southern Junction in Rockwall for their Mother's Day Outing from the dance club Rockies 'N Ropers. She had a wonderful time but it was very tiring.

This morning she went off to Sunday school and church with her Oma and Dad. Later she went to lunch with Oma, Mom, Guy and Adam.

She played Monopoly with Mom and Adam and beat Mom and then lost later to Adam but she had fun.
May 10, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Mom went back to work full-time yesterday and Dad watched Miranda for the day. We thought we had arrangements made for Miranda to be taken care of during the day but I think we had a miscommunication. Miranda went to the office with Mom this morning and had a good time.

Tomorrow Miranda is going to spend time at another volunteer's home so Mom and Dad can work. Miranda has a lot of appointments the end of May. PT, OT, MRI and starting back up on chemo.

Her blood work has been so good that she doesn't have to do any labs again until she starts up again on her chemo on May 27th.

Her spirits are so high and she continues to do well.
May 12, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda is staying with a volunteer friend named Christy while Mom and Dad work until she starts PT/OT, her MRI on the 25th and chemo meds on the 27th. Miranda is enjoying being there and helping with the babies while there.

Today she went to her middle school and received an Academic Honor Roll Award while attending the 6th grade assembly. She had a wonderful time meeting everyone.

She is keeping up with her school work and I think she is ready for the break to concentrate on getting her speech back and her right arm and hand working properly.
May 15, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a busy weekend and is doing well. Sunday we attended the 2nd KAN event sponsored by the Starlight Foundation (Make-A-Wish) at Chuck E Cheese in Fort Worth. She had a good time. Afterwards we attended a small graduation party in Rowlett.

Things are going well. Next week will be busy with a bunch of appointments.
May 20, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda is almost finished with the homebound program for school. She had some English and a Social Studies project to finish up and turn in today. Her homebound teacher, Stephanie, has been wonderul.

Today she is going to attend a swim party for the end of the school year with the 6th grade. The lady who is watching her is going to take her. They know they have to make sure she is watched at all times just in case of a seizure but she hasn't had any in over a month (going on 2 months now). We have a meeting with the school on Monday to dismiss Miranda from their ARD program (homebound services).

Her strength in her right arm increases and her right hand is starting to move better. She can grip pretty good but still not enough to write. Her speech has improved though she does struggle. Her dad, Rick, hired the speech therapist to come a couple of times starting this afternoon. She is supposed to start PT/OT through Children's of Dallas next Tuesday. Not sure when speech will start for them. We think it is going to be in June.

We are looking forward to her MRI on Wednesday. We hope it brings good news for her. Her spirits are wonderful and she is working hard to get better.

She starts her chemo medication back on up on the 27th for 5 days (think that is what he told us). Then another break for 3 to 4 weeks. This will happen for a year. They are going to allow us to use an outside lab for her blood work. Hopefully they will get her off her steroids completely once we have our appointment on the 27th. She is only on 3mg a day.

Next Friday, May 27th, she is invited to a swim party at the house of the lady who is taking care of her. She is excited about going.
May 22, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Yesterday Miranda went with her godmother, Betsy, and Mom to lunch and then we took her to the Vista Ridge Mall to go window shopping and ended up at her favorite store "The Limited Too" and bought a few new outfits for the summer. They were having a sale. She had a wonderful time.

We trimmed the hair in the back that was getting long to keep up with the new growth coming in. The newer growth is coming in blonde and the remaining hair is darker.

Today we took Miranda to see the new Star Wars movie. She enjoyed herself. Later we went to dinner with the Warrens and had a good time.

Miranda is able to move her fingers in her right hand now and touch each one individually with other fingers which means she is getting some of her dexterity back. Hopefully with continued PT and OT she will have the use of it back before she goes back to school for the 7th grade.
May 24, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda attended PT and OT at the Children's Dallas facility. They really made her work hard and she was told she doesn't need the brace that was made for her when she was in the hospital. They gave her therapy putty to use and exercises to do at home.

Make-A-Wish called today and said that we are scheduled for a Disney Cruise June 12 thru June 16. Miranda is very excited about going.

Things are going well with her and she is happy.
May 25, 2005 Update - MRI Today (Diary Entry)
Miranda had her MRI this afternoon. She was in there for an hour and had a bit of a panic attack when they went to go give her the contrast. She calmed down when she realized they weren't going to put it in her weak arm. I think she was afraid she would have a seizure if they did it there.

We won't know anything for a few days but we are praying for good news.
May 27, 2005 Update - MRI Result and Change in Protocol (Diary Entry)
Miranda was supposed to start her chemo medication back up today after seeing Dr. Bowers. Unfortunately, Dr. Bowers got the MRI results back and they were not good. Miranda's tumor has gotten bigger and more spots are showing up. This is not the news we want to hear and certainly not the news Miranda wanted to hear. She had a bad feeling that her MRI would not be good.

Miranda will be going to the hospital on Tuesday for surgery to have a port put in. She will then go back to the hospital Wednesday for her first round of Oxaliplatin. We will spend the majority of our day there because she will have to have blood work done. They will also be giving her another oral chemo medication drug on top of the Temodar which she currently has. I wish I remembered the name but it was a very upsetting day for us.

Miranda's in really good spirits considering all this bad news. She even told me not to be sad and that everything will be all right. Hard to do right now.
May 31, 2005 Update - Surgery Postponed (Diary Entry)
Got a call that the surgery was postponed because the surgeon wouldn't accept the CIGNA HMO insurance which Miranda has for coverage through her dad. Totally sucks. Anyway, they have now rescheduled it for Wednesday, June 1, at 3:45 p.m. We have to be at the hospital for lab work at 2:00 p.m. The next day at 8:00 a.m. she will start the infusion of Oxiplatin and we are expected to be there until 5:00 p.m. It is going to be a very long couple of days.

She went to Oklahoma to visit her Grandma and Grandpa Barnes over the Memorial Weekend with her dad and her brother, Adam. They had a good time and she loved seeing everyone.

Make-A-Wish was in touch and now not only are we going on a Disney Cruise but we are also stopping at Disney World when the cruise gets back on June 16 and spending a few days there and going home on the June 19. Miranda is very excited.
June 1, 2005 Update - Port Surgery Today (Diary Entry)
Miranda had her port surgery today. We were down at Children's Medical Center, Dallas by 2:00 p.m. for her lab work before surgery. We were done with all that by 2:25 p.m. and one of the aids there was surprised that we were still there because she didn't realize we were waiting around for Miranda's surgery time which we were told was 3:45 p.m. At 2:40 p.m. the surgery was calling to locate us and have us down there immediately. They had us on the schedule for 3:00 p.m.

We got Miranda all registered and settled in the Day Surgery room and met with the nurses, doctors, etc. They gave Miranda "giggle juice" to make her calm and then she was off to surgery about 3:45 p.m. She was in recovery about 5:15 p.m. and then we got to leave the hospital around 6:30 p.m. and home a little after 7:00 p.m. We were happy to be home.

Miranda ate 4 helpings of garlic/butter noodles and knockwurst which is unusual for her but the helpings were small and she was starving since she couldn't eat anything all day. The tylenol with codeine has pretty much knocked her out but other than that she is doing well. She managed to even use a spoon with her right hand and has been using crayons with her right hand as well. We are pleased with the progress she has made in that area.
June 2, 2005 Update - First Dose of Oxiplatin (Diary Entry)
We got to the hospital a few minutes late due to an accident. They started by putting an IV in Miranda's right hand as they wanted to try and only draw blood from the port. She got fluids and then Zofran first. After that she was hooked up to Oxiplatin for 2 hours and then an additional 2 hours of fluids. Blood was drawn at 12:45 and 4:15. The hardest part for Miranda was having the tape removed where they still had access to her port. She hurt very much from that and I felt so bad for her. She is mainly sore from her surgery and so far she hasn't been sick from the chemo medication. This is only the beginning.

She goes back for an MRI on June 22nd at 7:30 in the morning and chemo again at the hospital on June 23rd. They had it originally set for the 24th but that is Miranda's 12th birthday and she'd like not spend it in the hospital most of the day.

Dr. Bowers got to see her before all this and said that she looked great and was amazed at the strength in her right arm and hand. Miranda had some tylenol with codeine that morning so was a little woozy when walking.
June 6, 2005 Update - PT/OT Today (Diary Entry)
Miranda worked hard today during her physical therapy and occupational therapy. She actually wrote a paragraph on the eraser board and was throwing a ball at a target. She walked on a balance beam with some help but did very well. They had her using a fork and knife to cut make believe sausages out of playdoh. They gave her new theraputty which is a little harder to work with. She also rode a stationary bike for 5 minutes and she did the hand bike for another 5 minutes. I believe they will have her right arm and hand working really well before she goes back to school in August.

Today we had a Girl Scout meeting to discuss "taking care of ourselves" as teenagers. A Mary Kay representative stopped by and had them doing pedicures, manicures, discussing skin care and taking care of themselves properly.

She is getting excited about the Disney Cruise and Disney World. We all are.
June 8, 2005 Update - Special Occasion Dresses (Diary Entry)
Miranda and I went to Special Occasion Dresses to be outfitted for evening wear for our cruise. Miranda looked lovely in beautiful pink dress and they provided her with shoes, a necklace, earrings and a tiara to go with it. Mom got a dress, shoes and earrings as well. We pick up the dresses on Saturday after they are fixed for alterations. Miranda looked like a princess.
June 10, 2005 - Lab & Physical Today (Diary Entry)
Miranda had lab work and a physical this morning. She is doing well. We are seeing more hair on her head but it is still light. Her strength has increased in her right arm and hand. Her speech continues to improve. Her balance seems to be getting better as well.
June 20, 2005 Update - Disney Cruise & Disney World (Diary Entry)
We left bright and early on Sunday, June 12 and returned Sunday, June 19. We had such a wonderful time. So many pictures were taken. Our regular digital camera wouldn't charge so we ended up using the rest of our trip on the digital camcorder which also takes pictures. We are excited about seeing the videos we took.

Anyway, on the cruise it was very busy, the room was beautiful and we had this huge porthole to look out at the ocean. The water is so blue green and amazing. The Disney characters were all over the ship and we bought a lot of pictures for Miranda as keepsakes. We have a lot of scanning to do.

Miranda attended the Ocean Lab on board a couple of times and made a necklace, played games, performed on stage in the Walt Disney Theater on the "Graduation Night" for all the kids. Received a t-shirt and Mickey Graduation Hat with tassle. She had a blast.

The food was amazing, the pools were way too crowded with all the families but the entertainment and our service was wonderful.

Miranda got to meet the Captain John who runs the ship and got his autograph. Crunch, our Make-A-Wish Hostess on the ship kept leaving us little goodies in our cabin. It was good to finally meet her on Castaway Cay which is Disney's private island and beach.

Miranda had a dolphin encounter in Nassau on the Blue Lagoon Island. She got to hug, kiss, dance, touch the dolphin named Shawn while in the water with him. We have it on video and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Her Oma went swimming with the dolphins a little later.

We all are a little toasty from the sun. Some of us more than others even with sunblock on.

Walt Disney World's Contemporary Resort is where we stayed and the view we had from our balcony towards the Magic Kingdome was unbelievable. Every night we got to see a wonderful fireworks show and our last night there it was amazing. I think they really do extra on Saturday. Our first day there we spent all day at the Magic Kingdom. Miranda got more autographs and lots of pictures and rides. She loved Space Mountain and the flume ride.

Our second day we spent at the Animal Kingdom and the 3-D bug show is not to be missed under the living tree. That tree is amazing with all the carvings in it of various animals. Also, not to be missed is the Dinosaur ride. We have pictures of it. We will probably be posting an outside link once we have everything scanned and downloaded to our computer so everyone can see everything. Miranda got to pet goats, get more autographs and had fun seeing the animals and shows. We also enjoyed seeing Guy get soaked on the water rapids ride.

Our third day we spent at Epcot. Miranda insisted on checking out more rides. The more exciting the better for her. Test Track was great and definitely not to be missed is the Soarin' ride. You feel like you are hang gliding all over the place.

We wish we would have had at least one more full day so we could have check out MGM but that wasn't possible. We had a 1:25 p.m. flight out and you have to leave at least 3 hours to make it to the airport when you are relying on outside transportation. We still had a great time. However, if you want reservations at Chef Mickey at the Contemporary Resort you really do have to make it 90 days in advance or wait hours and hours to even get in there. We passed but we got to see the fun.

Thank you to Make-A-Wish and Davis Munck, P.C. for making this trip so wonderful. We had a blast!
June 22, 2005 Update - MRI Today (Diary Entry)
Miranda had another MRI bright and early this morning. She did well and was glad they were able to access her port to give her the contrast for additional pictures.

Tomorrow we are back in the hospital all day for her second dose of Oxiplatin. I hope we also hear some positive news about her MRI. Please pray!

Friday we are having a small cake and ice cream get together for her 12th birthday and plan to have a few friends go with her to the movie on Saturday to see Herbie Fully Loaded.
June 23, 2005 Update - MRI Results/No Chemo Today (Diary Entry)
We got Miranda's MRI results today. She has a new growth but the other tumors did not change. We are changing her protocol again and she will start new medication on Tuesday.

She will be on Irinotecan and Avastin (bevacizumab). Irinotecan will be given once a week and Avastin will be given every other week. Treatment course is 4 weeks long and she gets one week off every 4 weeks. She will be given this therapy as long as she can tolerate it and the tumors do not grow.

The side effects sound horrendous and we know that this is going to be hard on her. We hope the tumors stop.

Other than that, Miranda is doing well and we hope to see some improvement with the new protocol.
June 24, 2005 - Happy 12th Birthday Miranda!
Celebrated 12th Birthday on June 24, 2005 with family and friends.

Today is Miranda's 12th Birthday. We are so happy that she is feeling good and is excited about turning 12. A small gathering of friends and family will be stopping by later tonight to have cake and ice cream with Miranda and we plan a trip to the movies Saturday morning with some friends of Miranda's to watch Herbie Fully Loaded.
June 27, 2005 Update - Birthday and Celebrations (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a lovely 12th birthday on 6-24-05 at the house. It was great having friends and family there with her to celebrate. We also continued the celebration at dinner time with friends at Pappas Pizza. We will post a link to pictures when we have the gallery completed.

She attended her friend, Amelia's, 12th birthday at Rainforest Cafe on 6-22-05 and had a good time.

Saturday we took three other friends with us to see Herbie Fully Loaded at the first showing. We loved the movie.

Oma and Jerry came by on Saturday to celebrate with Miranda and join us for lunch. Oma brought Miranda a beautiful Cheyenne Indian doll.

Later Miranda went to a swim/birthday party at her friend Brenna's home and stayed overnight. Amelia went as well.

Sunday we decided to go to Batman Begins (the movie is slow and but does have some good special effects) and then off to a baby shower for Bridget Whitehead, a friend. We had a great time watching Bridget open up tons of presents. She is due in August and is having a baby boy.

Miranda received a first place trophy with her teammates at the trophy celebration at Don Showman Pool in Farmers Branch. Texas Spirits placed first in the 14U division. Everyone was glad to see her.

The weekend was good and Miranda enjoyed herself.
June 28, 2005 Update - New Chemo Meds (Diary Entry)
Miranda had new chemo medication today and her dad, Rick, took her to be with her. So far she has handled the medication just fine. They are worried about side effects such as diarrhea but she hasn't shown any signs yet. We are hoping the worse she has is the loss of what little hair she has left. She said she would rather have that than loose bowels or constipation, another side effect which could happen.

Her spirits are wonderful and she keeps smiling and laughing. 

She is supposed to have another MRI around July 21st.
June 29, 2005 Update - Radio Broadcast Debut (Diary Entry)
Miranda got to be in the KSCS Duelly Truck with Bill Kinder and his assistant Jim today from 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. What an exciting time for her. She got to be part of the broadcast.

Bill Kinder kept her smiling and laughing and he and Jim had a goody bag full of great items for her. She was made an honorary staff member with a lovely black jersey, received season passes for Six Flags, tickets to go to Willie Nelson's picnic, tickets to go to Brooks & Dunn's concert, Mesquite Rodeo Tickets, UA Cinema tickets and tickets to The Wet Zone in Rowlett. She also got three more shirts and a beanie hat. They also gave her a bunch of county & western cds from various artists. She was all smiles and just beaming.

Bill Kinder also took Miranda to get sodas and brought her to a large parking lot and let her drive the duelly in the parking lot. We saw two police cars but they didn't pull us over. Whewwww, we all made it out alive. :)

Thank you Bill Kinder, Jim and KSCS for making this just a special day for her.
July 5, 2005 Update - New Seizure (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a pretty good weekend except for Monday, July 4.

Saturday morning, July 2nd, we went to the Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth (formerly Carswell) and went to the BX, Commissary and ate lunch at the Burger King on Base. After that we later went to see War of the Worlds. It was action packed and had mom jumping in her chair quite a few times. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

On Sunday, July 3rd, we spent the day going to the movie Rebound in the morning, then swimming and having brisquette at a friend's home and enjoying the fireworks show in Addison. Miranda got a bit tired and we left right before the finale but saw it from our car.

Monday July 4th we cleaned up and reorganized Miranda's room, put up her pink beads and her canopy she got for her birthday. Her room looks so much better now that we are not running into things laying all over the floor.

Around 5:40 p.m. we were at our friend's the Warrens when Miranda experienced a 20-30 second seizure. She was sitting up and shaking and afterwards said it felt like it was on the right side of her face but she felt fine afterwards. I gave her the medication she normally takes around 7 p.m. early and the rest of the day she was just fine.

Our friend, Randy, won VIP tickets to the Lewisville fireworks show and to see actress, Raven Simone. He took Miranda with him to get Raven's autograph and pictures. There was a long line at the mall and one of the Disney Radio person's took Miranda out of the line and brought her to the front. It surprised all of us and it was great for Miranda. They gave her an autograph pillow and she also received two more autographs in her autograph book.

We went to see the fireworks where Randy works which was right where they went off in Lewisville. It was a great show and loud. It was a long night, as well as very warm, as the fireworks started almost 1/2 hour late.
July 11, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda has been doing well since her treatment on Tuesday, July 5. No issues with seizures, one case of loose bowels, constipation, no hair loss. The loose bowels and constipation fixed themsleves with over-the -counter medication.

She seems to tire more easily and complains of dizziness but we are happy that she hasn't had even a minor seizure and she continues to work on getting her strength back in her right arm and hand and doing her exercises.

Saturday we took her to the movies and saw The Fantastic 4. We really enjoyed it. Later that evening we went to Continental's cargo facility and picked up our new family member. Mia (Mee-ah) joined us and is a beautiful Balinese kitten. She is so lovable, playful and a joy. You'll see Miranda holding Mia in the photo gallery.

Sunday we went to the movies and Saw Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It was okay but dragged in the beginning. Later we got a call from our friend Bubba to join him at Six Flags. So we took advantage of the season passes Miranda received from KSCS and spent a few hours at Six Flags enjoying the rides. Miranda enjoyed the Splash Water ride the most we think. She loved getting wet. She also loved riding the Titan. Mom was quite nervous afterwards and the heat got to her but after sitting down, resting and drinking water while the rest went to check out Batman and Mr. Freeze, she did fine the rest of the afternoon. We enjoyed the Acrobats of China show very much.

Miranda has another infusion on Tuesday and we hope it will continue to help bring progress. July 21st is the date we have scheduled for her next MRI.

July 18, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a pretty good weekend. We went to the movies on Saturday morning and saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which we enjoyed. She spent the night with her dad, Rick.

Sunday morning we took Miranda to see The Wedding Crashers. We all laughed. It was R rated for the bad words and sex scenes which weren't all that bad. The movie was great.

Miranda suffered another seizure that lasted about 20 seconds on Sunday. She was okay afterwards.

She is worried about going back to school and having the kids make fun of her or tease her about her condition. She wants very badly to be a normal kid again and to be able to do all the things she used to. We pray for that as well.

She's done well with the treatments so far. The worst side effect has been the occasional constipation but we have managed to help that with over-the-counter medication.

Her MRI is scheduled for Thursday morning and we are supposed to hear the results Friday morning at Children's.
July 22, 2005 Update - Good News / Bad News (Diary Entry)
Miranda's MRI resulted in some good and bad news. The first set of tumors have not changed but the newest tumor that they found in her last MRI result in June has grown.

Dr. Bowers is hoping to give us a plan by the end of the day today. He is talking to Dr. Sacco about Miranda having surgery to remove the tumor, then radiation and change in chemo medication. Should Dr. Sacco decide that it is not safe for Miranda to have surgery to remove the tumor, then we are looking at possibly having Gamma Knife surgery with Dr. Bastasch.

We aren't sure yet when all of this will happen but hopefully we will have definite dates by the end of the day.

The new tumor is the cause of Miranda's double vision, dizziness and her balance problems. Hopefully we will have a good plan of attack to correct this for her before school starts on August 15.
July 26, 2005 Update - Surgery Scheduled (Diary Entry)
Surgery to remove the brain tumor in the back is scheduled for Wednesday, August 3rd. Miranda has pre-op on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. They said we should be at the hospital for surgery by 9 a.m.

I'll be glad when this is removed and Miranda no longer suffers from the double vision, dizziness and balance problems. I hope the recovery from this surgery is quick for her so she can go back to school on the 15th which she is looking forward to.

Even with all that she is dealing with she still did pretty well with her recent PT/OT sessions.
August 1, 2005 Update (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a good weekend. No seizures, no major problems. She is wearing an eye patch to keep from seeing double. Covering her left eye has helped. Her balance is still off and she still complains of being dizzy. She sleeps more but I know she needs the rest.

We finally got the envelope for her school to fill out the enrollment forms and find out when to pick up supplies and her schedule. She is very nervous about how everyone will react to her. So any of you students out there reading this, please be a good friend to her and make sure everyone else is as well. She so needs the support. Thank you.

Her brother Adam is taking the driving portion of his driving class. He is doing very well. He's a great brother to his sister.
August 2, 2005 Update - PreOp (Diary Entry)
Today was the day for pre-op. Took longer than we expected so Guy had to take over so that Nancy could go to her own appointment. Follow-up for her own recovery from cancer.

Took a physical of Miranda. Couldn't access her port and Miranda was upset by it. Have to be at the hospital now by 6:30 a.m. so they can do blood work. Surgery scheduled for 9 a.m. Told it will last 3 1/2 to 4 hours and then Miranda will be in ICU for a day and then moved. Depending on her recovery she could be out in 2 days but to expect 3 to 5 days.

Miranda has a very nervous stomache and didn't hold down her lunch. Came home ravenous and ate a late lunch that her dad brought to the house as we were leaving for the hospital this afternoon.
August 3, 2005 Update - Seizure Today (Diary Entry)
Well this morning we are up bright and early. Had to wake Miranda up before 5:00 a.m. so she could take her medication. Nothing to eat or drink before surgery now.

While brushing her teeth we heard Miranda screaming. She had a nice full blown seizure. Guy thinks it may have lasted 45 seconds to a minute. Scared us and her. She knew what was going on. Poor baby.

She's all set with numbing cream in three different areas if they can't access her port again. They better be able to. I know she can't stand to be stuck all over the place. It really upsets her but she is always a trooper about it.

Had to wash her head again with the shampoo they gave us and last night we trimmed the back of her head where she didn't lose her hair from radiation the first time. She will loose that hair once she starts up radiation. So it will all probably start to grow in evenly. She was starting to get back some hair on the top. Sides were coming in a bit blonde and top more darker. Totally bizzarre.

I'm going to be spending the night with her this evening when she is in ICU. Taking a bunch of DVDs for her and me and packed a couple of books for myself.

We hope she recovers quickly from the surgery and that it will bring about the results she and we hope for.
August 4, 2005 Update - Surgery Done and Recovery (Diary Entry)
Miranda's surgery went well. She was in surgery from 10:20 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. when she went into recovery. Little upset with the hospital recovery room because we never got a call about coming into see her before they moved her up into ICU last night.

I spent the night with her and Miranda is doing okay but they have not been able to get her settled with regard to her nausea. She can't keep anything down and she is sleeping a lot. They are going to be taking her off the morphine and giving her Tylenol with codeine instead for any pain. They took out her catheter before they sent her down to her room on the 9th floor at Children's. She was still sleeping when Guy and I left. Her dad, Rick, will be staying with her tonight. She is supposed to be going for an MRI today to make sure they got this tumor completely.

In two weeks she should be starting her next round of radiation treatments to the site where they removed the tumor.

Hopefully she will be up and about and able to come home by the wekend.
August 5, 2005 Update - MRI Results (Diary Entry)
Her MRI results showed that they did indeed get the entire tumor. So we are very happy about it. However, the surgeon was not happy that the left ventricals in her brain showed swelling. They will be doing a CTScan on Saturday to find out if the swelling has gone down and, if not, then they will perform an additional surgery to put in a stunt for drainage.

We finally got Miranda's nausea under control. She has been taken off the morphine and being given Tylenol with codeine for pain. She actually is getting up and walking to the bathroom and she finally got a popsicle down and didn't throw up. Hopefully she will be able to start eating more solid foods.

We hope she'll be home by the weekend but it all depends on the result of her next scan.
August 6, 2005 Update - CTScans (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a CTScan yesterday and this morning. Last night she was placed back in ICU as they were concerned about her swelling in the left ventricals and they could watch her better up in ICU. The CTScan from this morning showed that she had no more swelling but they were remaining the same but they felt that she should stay in ICU at least for tonight and perhaps tomorrow. So what we hoped would be a 3 to 5 day stay is turning into a longer stay but all that counts is that she is doing better and that they got this tumor. They took off her dressing today and you can see her stitches and scar.

She is hoping that they will allow her to eat today as she is complaining of being hungry.
August 7, 2005 Update - Emergency Surgery (Diary Entry)
Well we left Miranda last night thinking she was doing fine and then at 9:45 p.m. we get a call that they are taking her down for surgery. Her left pupil was enlarged and she was complaining of a headache, all signs of pressure on her brain which they didn't like. They were taking her within the hour down for surgery to put a cathater on her right side to reduce the amount of swelling and drainage of excess of spinal fluid created.

At 9:50 p.m. Guy, Mom and I are out the door and on the highway. Stop....we are stuck on the highway because of an accident. I was so upset and just bawling because we weren't getting to Miranda fast enough. 1 hour and 20 minutes later we finally get moving but Miranda is already down in surgery without me being by her side when they took her down. Rick was there and that was a good thing but I felt awful. They had her in surgery at 11:10 and the surgeon (Dr. Swift) was back up just a little before midnight saying she did well and they were done and that they would be bringing her back up to ICU. She was wheeled back in about 20 minutes later.

New hookups to monitor, more pain medicine and getting her from freezing because of surgery was taking place in ICU. Hopefully she is feeling better this morning. They looked at her eyes and her pupils were both looking more normal. They say she will be up in ICU for about 4 more days while they make sure the swelling stays down and no more fluid collects. So this will not be a short stay in the hospital.
August 8, 2005 Update - Back on Regular Floor (Diary Entry)
Miranda was doing well up in ICU for the past 2 days since her emergency surgery. We were moved to the 9th floor into a regular room around 4:00 p.m. She was happy to be moved and she is getting up regularly to get to the bathroom. She also managed to start keeping down some jello. Hopefully she'll be able to tolerate more regular food.

If things go well, we are hoping she'll be out of the hospital in the next couple of days. She so wants to pick up her schedule at school on Friday but I may have to go by myself if she is still in the hospital.

She still has the catheter in her brain but they are no longer draining fluids off 24 hours but draining a bit for labs every other day. She had another CTScan this morning and it showed that her ventricals were reduced in size which pleased them. One of the reasons we got moved out of ICU.

I think they finally got her nausea under control and it was one of the reasons she decided to start eating. Not sure how much weight she has lost. Last time she had lost 15 pounds during her hospital stay in March. I won't be surprised if she drops 10 pounds.
August 10, 2005 Update - Head Catheter Removed (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a CT scan early this morning and it showed that her ventricals had definitely gone down. Later in the day they removed the catheter from her head. Miranda is still having nausea and throwing up on and off throughout the day to day. She has not wanted to eat much due to this fact. We are still trying to get her bowels moving and it is one of the reasons that they will not release her from the hospital yet. Hopefully things get moving by tonight or tomorrow and that she can go home. She definitely wants to get out of the hospital. We did manage to get her up and out of bed once the catheter was removed and get her walking in the halls. We are hoping this will start something for her. They are still giving her medication to move her bowels. They are being stubborn. HA! They believe once she gets things moving in that direction she will be able to come home.

After the CT scan Miranda did experience a small seizure coming back into her room. It probably lasted about 30-40 seconds and I know she wasn't happy about that.

We have an appointment with her radiation doctor next Tuesday. She will get a new face mask and then they will start her treatments soon after. Hopefully we can have them early in the morning so she doesn't miss school. She still wants to start on Monday.
August 11, 2005 Update - She's Home (Diary Entry)
Miranda was released from the hospital at 2:30 this afternoon and now she is resting at home. We have to make sure she gets more sodium in her system as her counts in that regard were low and one of the reasons she has been encountering some small seizures. Have to go get her meds filled that they sent us home with as well. She goes back in 2 weeks to have all her stitches removed and she sees Dr. Bastasch next Tuesday for a new mask and get her radiation scheduled.
August 14, 2005 Update - Nausea Still (Diary Entry)
Well we had hoped that the nausea was finally under control as Miranda woke up this morning not having any. We spoke to soon, she threw up her lunch and her dinner. Poor thing can't seem to keep things down too much. Comes in spurts and we never know when.

She is very nervous about school starting tomorrow. Sent out emails to all her teachers and hope they are understanding. The school has assured me that they will take care of Miranda and see that she has help getting to her classes. :)

She's listening to the first Harry Potter book on CD. We went to Waldenbooks and got her a couple of more of the books on CD. Couldn't find the 2nd book on CD but we will look for it elsewhere. We have books 3 and 4. I also know where to get 5 and 6 for her.

Took Miranda to Limited Too and got her a few outfits for school. She already decided what she wants to wear for school tomorrow. Plan to get her settled there on her first day.

Tomorrow she sees Dr. Bastasch for her new mask. I hope they also get her on the schedule for her treatments. She just doesn't want to miss much school if she can schedule her appointments around school.
August 15, 2005 Update - First Day Back to School (Diary Entry)
Well Miranda started 7th grade today and everyone was happy to see her. I know she was nervous and we had a little bit of worry over nausea this morning but finally got that to subside with the Zofran that melts on her tongue. The pills don't help at all because she can't get them down long enough for them to work.

She said that her first day went well and she had a bunch of notes for me to sign and had to buy some additional binders for her classes. The teachers got her to and from class which was very nice and I'm sure they will assign a buddy for her to get to her classes. All her binders are organized.

I know she seems to feel much better now that her first day of school went so well. The only fly in the ointment is that she did not want Quest and was pretty sure she had Skills for Living when she sent in her choices at the end of the 6th grade. We will check with Mr. Beale in the morning after Miranda goes to her radiation mask fitting appointment with Dr. Bastasch.
August 17, 2005 Update - Very Tired and Not Eating Well (Diary Entry)
Miranda had a CT Scan today before school. Her dad said she slept on her way to and from the appointment but she managed to stay at school the whole day. Nausea was under control due to taking Zofran last night and early this morning. Not sure her dad gave her Zofran tonight and not sure she managed to get her homework done. She was so tired. She didn't have any dinner. She at least is drinking juice.

Appointments scheduled for next week are so inconvenient for her. Right in the middle of her school day two days in a row. We are hoping to change them and her neurosurgeon wants another CT Scan and wondering if he can't just look at the one Dr. Bastasch took but not sure. She is seeing Dr. Wright and Dr. Bowers on Friday.

Guy and I are on our way to New Mexico in the morning for his retirement from the Military. It will be nice to have a few days to ourselves and to try and relax but I'll worry about Miranda. I hope she gets back her strength soon and eats regularly again. I'm already worried enough.
August 22, 2005 Update - She is Very Ill (Diary Entry)
Well Miranda has not been doing well since Guy and I were off in New Mexico for his retirement from his military duty. She managed to go to school Thursday but Friday she was very sick. The hospice nurse finally got some medication to help Miranda with the nausea and vomiting but she still is not wanting to eat and it has helped minimally.

Last night Guy and I were up all night cleaning up various incidents of vomiting. We are wiped out. Called the hospice people at 4 a.m. to try and see if there is something else that she can be given to help. They are getting stronger medication out to us. I hope it helps. I got some ginger snaps under the whole food aisle and have been told ginger will also calm down her stomache. We will see what happens. She needs to eat to get her strength back. She cannot walk without assistance and has lost quite a bit of weight.

Today was picture day at school but she will miss it. Hopefully they will have a makeup day for her that she can get her picture done then. She wants to be better and this has her frustrated and upset.

We have to go to the storage shed and get her wedge for her bed that we got back in March. We've put a lot of pillows in her bed to help boost her up but the wedge will be so much better for her.

She has an appointment on the 24th for a CT Scan and an appointment on the 25th to see Dr. Sacco to have her stitches removed.

Chemo medication was started today. We hope she will handle it okay considering how bad things have been for her.
August 22, 2005 Update - Back in the Hospital (Diary Entry)
Well we had a very rough night and Miranda had 3 seizures this morning. The worst one lasted almost 2 minutes and when it was over she was non-responsive. We rushed her to Children's ER. We were in the ER for 7 hours minus the time spent to have a CT Scan. They said that she has a mass pressing down on her 4th ventrical and growing rapidly. It was not good news.

They gave Miranda a mega-dose of some seizure medication while in the ER and gave her all kinds of Zofran to help her. She stopped vomiting and was hungry but that seizure medication cause a bad reaction and she was almost not breathing. They got her back and on oxygen and she is much better but boy is she flying high from that medication. She thought she saw chocolate donuts in the ER and that she ate some. She did eat some chicken nuggets and some macaroni and cheese. While not much, it was something and she has kept it down.

We are hoping she will be well enough to come home Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning.
August 25, 2005 Update - Things are Rough (Diary Entry)
Miranda was admitted back into ICU yesterday on their 12th floor. She had respiratory failure after coming back from her first radiation treatment. Things looked really bad and the doctors were assuming the worst, that Miranda was leaving us. As you can imagine, it was not a good time for all of us.

Family members were called. Good friends, etc. Grandma Barnes, Uncle Lindsey, Oma and Jerry all came down to be with Miranda. Our friends Cheryl, Randy and Ingrid were there last night. Her best friend Amelia and her mother, Lana were also there last night.

They put Miranda on a Bipap machine to help her breath. After x-rays they believe she may have partially collapsed her left lung and/or there is a mucus plug. It all boils down to her having respiratory failure and almost losing her and needing to help her breath. She is holding her own and doing much better. She managed to take some of her medication off the machine and keeping her O2 in the low 90s which was good.

They said that if she had a good night and morning and after the morning x-ray if her lung shows improvement, they will move her to the 9th floor again. Things are looking better for her and we are ever so thankful for all the prayers everyone has put out for her.

August 27,2005 - She Has Become an Angel

Miranda lost her valiant fight against this horrible disease and passed away at Children's Medical Center in Dallas at 2:53 a.m. this morning. She will be missed and she has touched so many lives with her beautiful smile, infectious laughter and her spirit.

Our family thanks everyone who has prayed for her during this time of suffering.

Funeral Arrangements have been made and Miranda will have a viewing on Monday, August 29 from 4-8 pm at the North Dallas Funeral Home, 2710 Valley View Lane, Dallas, TX 75234 and a funeral service will be held on Tuesday, August 30 at 3:00 p.m. at Bent Tree Bible Fellowship, 4141 International Parkway, Carrollton, TX 75007.

November 2005
Tree planted in memory of Miranda in Kibbutz Nir-Am Israel
April 2006 - Angel Fountain in Memory of Miranda
This Angel Fountain was put in our front yard near our front door in memory of Miranda.  It is lovely to listen to and very soothing.  Birds also enjoy the fountain.
June 24, 2006 - Happy 13th Birthday Miranda

The Warrens Put a Ballon for Miranda's 13th Birthday Up in the Air.  A picture of Gretchen holding the balloon is pictured here.

Memorial Day 2007

Angel Memorial for Miranda at Ochelata Cemetary with yellow roses on Memorial Day 2007

May 27, 2007, Her brother Adam Graduates from High School
Adam Graduated from High School Today.  We all missed you being there but know you were with us in spirit.  We love you Miranda.
Happy 14th Birthday Miranda - Balloon Release
My darling Miranda, we celebrated your birthday today with a balloon release with special friends dear to our heart and your's.  We wrote special messages on the balloons and then released them in the air in remembrance of you on your birthday.  We love you.
Yellow Roses at Ochelata United Methodist Church
13 yellow roses and 1 red in honor of Miranda's 14th birthday at Ochelata United Methodist Church.
2011 Creekview Memorial Tile

This beautiful tile was done by Brenna Schraufnagel and is a ceiling tile at Creekview High School.

18th Birthday Memorial Balloon Release

We had friends over in memory of Miranda on 8/25/11 and released balloons with writing on them in honor of her 18th birthday.


If you have any material to add to this section, please contact the website manager. If you are the website manager, you can enter edit mode to change the timeline by clicking here.